Friday, February 15, 2013

Jeep Cherokee Review


            The product I am going to review is my Jeep Cherokee. I know that it is not by all means, a brand new car, or that you can even buy them from a dealership new. I am going to review this product in a very specific sense, and that is for off-roading.
            The jeep Cherokee has a long but simple history and for the most part only has a few small changes throughout its over twenty year production time. The model period I am focusing on is that of the years of 1989-95. This small SUV is actually considered a station wagon, meant for a relatively small budget and had an unbeatable four wheel drive system. This basic, cheap, and light vehicle has won the hearts of off-roaders for its ease and ruggedness when in the woods.
            For one to be able to drive over things that other vehicles would run away with their tails between their legs, you don’t even have to do anything. With its throaty and powerful inline six cylinder engine, and dual solid axles driving those tires, not much can stop you. Only with a few additions to the suspension, and larger tires can you be able to do so much more with this.
            However, all of this fun can come at a price if you are also driving this vehicle every day. Since the vehicle was made with older computer technology at a time when gas was inexpensive, you will not be going very far on a tank of gas, only boasting between twelve to fifteen miles per gallon. But thanks to the infinitely modifiable engine some people( including me) were able to squeeze seventeen miles out of each gallon of gas. Also these vehicles are old and although their power plants themselves will never die, things such as the alternator, spark plugs, water pumps and other normal things may have worn out.
            All in all though, for someone on a small budget, just getting interested in the off highway lifestyle, the Jeep is the way to go. After maybe replacing parts that on every car can wear out, and being comfortable with having a thinner wallet because of gas situation, you will have a vehicle that can go anywhere in snow, mud, dirt, and rocks.

5 comments:

  1. I just want to stay that Jeeps are the best off road and four wheeling cars there is. If I did ot love jeeps too I would not be commenting. I had a jeep myself as my first car. with it was was able to drive in the snow and go four wheeling. Without the four wheels drive I would be stuck in mud and snow every time. But thanks to my jeep I was able to get out othe snow and mud. Then it all end when a drive cut me off going throughn a traffic light and totaled my jeep. Now I have no jeep to go mudding with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted a Jeep. In fact my brother has a Jeep Wrangler. Like you stated Jeeps are not very reliable for the best gas mileage. Although they have gotten better they still are not as good as some of the cars out there. Jeeps are very reliable during different weather conditions such as snow, off- roading, and other extreme conditions. Jeeps are also good for plowing and hauling. Jeeps are so good with off-roading because they have the capability to fit in small, tight areas that many other cars and vehicles would not be able to fit in. My brother’s brand new Jeep does have its problems though, the alternator has recently gone and he has problems with the roof and seals around the car leaking. Like any other car Jeeps have their problems but in the end they are very reliable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I myself have always thought owning a jeep would be awesome. I can see that they are the perfect vehicle to go off-roading with. It seems like it is a reliable and durable car that can withstand the wear and tare that off-roading has to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to own a jeep myself. However, I had to sell it. I ran into many, many problems with it. I had the alternator blow out a handful of times, the muffler blow out twice, and eventually the main computer got so filled with water that it would short circuit and shut off in the middle of the street, becoming very dangerous for me. However, I have heard many great things about their reliability, especially in off road situations. I can also tell you from first hand experience with the Cherokee that it has very poor gas mileage. I used to have to fill my tank at least twice per week, especially considering I drove twenty five minutes just to get to school. And with gas prices as high as they are these days, you can imagine I spent a great deal of my hard earned money filling my jeep's gas tank.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can relate to Jeeps and how reliable they are because my mom has one. She has a brand 09 4dr Wrangler and has yet to have problems with it. It shows how they have transformed over the years. My mom isn’t it to the whole lifting and big tire thing though. I have told her a bunch of times if you have a Jeep you have to do something to it whether its lifting it or just putting so big tires on. I have wanted to take it off roading but she’s afraid of hurting it. I don’t think she realizes what Jeeps are designed for besides making a cool looking convertible. My cousin also has a Jeep and has yet to lift it. He is waiting until he get enough money. Its hard when you are a broke college student. I really enjoyed your review of the 1989-1995 Jeep though.

    ReplyDelete