Sunday, January 27, 2013

     My name is Alex Larson, and I am a freshman at Nichols College, located in Dudley, Massachusetts.  When I first enrolled at Nichols College, I planned to study sports management, but after being at school for a while and talking to some alumni who have had trouble finding work in that field, I have decided to change my major to finance, although there is a strong possibility that I will continue to pursue sports management, but I would most likely minor in it, rather than major.  Unlike many of the students at Nichols College, my hometown is not located in the New England area.  Growing up in Huntsville, Alabama, I never planned on attending a college over 1,000 miles away from home, but the fact that I play hockey changed that.  Last year, I played hockey in Cleveland, Ohio, and was then recruited by Nichols College to come to Dudley to further my career and get a good education.  
     Playing hockey is my main focus and is also the thing that I get the most joy out of.  However, there are of course other things that I like to do in my free time.  Of all the activities I take part in away from the hockey rink, playing golf is my favorite way to pass the time.  There are few things better than hitting the links on a warm day for 18 holes of golf with your regular foursome.
     I have now started my second semester at Nichols College, and the same class that requires me to write this blog post is also one of the classes that I hope to get the most experience out of.  I have never been very good with computers and technology, so I'm hoping that this class will further my knowledge in technology.
     I have already stated that hockey is my favorite sport to play, and it is also my favorite sport to watch.  Growing up, every kid has their favorite professional sports team, and my favorite team is the New Jersey Devils.  Fire and Ice is the official blog for the New Jersey Devils, covering all of their day to day activities. During my lifetime, the Devils have enjoyed a great deal of success, including a 9 year stretch from the mid 1990s to the early 2000s where the team won 3 Stanley Cups.  Last season, the Devils fell just short of their fourth Stanley Cup, losing to the Los Angeles Kings the the finals in six games.  But now the NHL lockout is over, and a new season has started, with 30 teams trying to win the ultimate trophy.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Alex, I like your post. As a huge hockey fan, I can relate to your passion for the game. I'm sure you were just as excited as I was when the NHL lockout ended, although I disagree with your choice of rooting for the Devils (the Bruins are the way to go!). New Jersey is a good team, however, despite their recent struggles, and I can imagine how upset you were when the Kings defeated them in the Cup Finals last season. This season should be a good one, though, and right now it looks as if it will be a dog fight in the East between the Bruins and Devils, who are both off to great starts. I am a Sports Management major myself, and I think that finding work depends on how big the sports industry is, and right now the business is currently booming, so it appears that it would not be as difficult as it seems to find work in the field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Alex, I really enjoyed reading your blog. I am also very excited for the National Hockey League to start playing again. I have missed watching hockey very much so it is nice to see that someone else also missed hockey. I would greatly enjoy getting on the golf course with you and having a good time. I am sure that once the season ends here for us we will get on the course together. That must be pretty tough being from Huntsville, Alabama and playing hockey and not football. I'm sure your parents are pretty confused with your size and what not but as long as you keep stopping the puck I will be happy. Keep having a good season for the Bison and great things will happen down the road for you. I will try and keep scoring for you but no promises of blocking shots, sorry buddy. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Alex, I enjoyed reading your blog because like the two above me, I am also a huge hockey fan. It is crazy that the devils have won 3 stanley cups in the past 20 years or so. Scott Stevens was definitly one of my all time favorite hockey players- he would just destroy people. I too enjoy playing golf although I definitly do not play as much as I used too. The bruins are actually playing against the devils tonight I will sure be rooting for the bruins should be a good game best of luck to both teams!

    ReplyDelete