Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Hawaiian Vacation


For as long as I can remember, Hawaii has been my dream vacation. My desire to go to Hawaii began after I saw the episode of Full House when the family takes a vacation there. The atmosphere, white sandy beaches, and crystal blue water all make Hawaii look very inviting. Although the trip from Massachusetts to Hawaii is extremely long, I know that it will be worth it because of all the great things the islands have to offer. It is my biggest hope that one day I will be able visit this tropical place after I save money that will go toward my flight there, the place I stay, and the things I plan to do while I am there.


Because Hawaii is so far away and separated from the United States as islands, plane tickets are very expensive. A roundtrip ticket from Boston, Massachusetts to Hawaii for a week during the summer ranges from $923 to $1400. The flights offered make at least one stop. Depending on the stops, the travel time can be anywhere between 14 and 20 hours long.



Each Hawaiian island offers different places to stay and different things to do. When I visit Hawaii someday, I plan on staying on the island called Maui. I would love to stay at the "best hotel in Maui," Grand Wailea, however, it is very expensive ranging from $500-$1200 a night depending on the room. A more reasonable place to stay would be at the Sheraton Maui Resort, where prices per night begin at $380 and increase depending on the room.




Along with the warm weather and beautiful beaches, the island of Maui has a lot to offer. Maui is home to the top-rated family attraction: the Maui Ocean Center. Maui Ocean Center is one of the many attractions I plan on visiting during my trip to Hawaii one day. I plan to spend most of my time on the beaches, where I will be able to snorkel, jet ski, scuba dive, surf, and swim. While spending time in Maui, I would enjoy visiting historical sites such as Kaanapali Beach, Iao Valley State Park, and Lahaina Historic Trail. Maui offers a variety of traditional luau performances and dinners, which will definitely be a must during my trip.

If I plan to visit Hawaii anytime soon, it is time to start saving. Before heading off to my dream destination, I should plan to have about $6,000-$7,000 saved for my flight, accommodations, and spending money for the time I am there. My dream vacation destination may be expensive, but I am confident that it will be worth it!







5 comments:

  1. For starters, that episode of Full House is one of my favorites. Hawaii is such a beautiful place and the trip you have planned seems amazing. Especially after this incredibly long winter, laying on a beach and learning how to hulu dance seems perfect. Going snorkeling or scuba diving in a place like Hawaii has always been on my bucket list. The hotel you picked looks gorgeous, and the long plane ride definitely seems worth it. Who knows, maybe we could make our honors trip our junior year to Hawaii. That would be a ton of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaime, your blog was very insightful. The pictures were very inviting, it makes me want it to be summer already and jump into the beach. The clear water and tropical weather would be an all-too nice break from the cold and abnormal weather that New England is known for. A trip to Hawaii would be such a nice retreat to just lay back, relax and unwind after a long stressful and busy year of school. It would be very enriching to experience the culture and mannerisms of the Hawaiian people. I do not know what your standard is for affordable and good quality hotels, but I was able to find some pretty decent hotels, such as Best Western, for under $100. The trip to Hawaii will be long, but it is more than worth it and the trip back will allow you to think about the amazing trip you had. Good luck with your efforts to make your dream vacation a reality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jaime, ever since I was little I was in love with Hawaii. My Uncle lived in Hawaii for a few years and he loved it. On holidays when I would see him he would tell me stories of all the sights and people. When college started coming closer I started looking into attending the University of Hawaii, but then I found out how expensive it would be and that suddenly brought me back to reality. My goal is to go there at least once in my life even if it means I wait until I have my own kids that I can take. There is so much to do in Hawaii and everyone there is laid back and not in a rush. The only problem is how expensive everything is there if you are living there. But a nice week long trip to Hawaii sounds perfect to me and hopefully I can experience it once in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always wanted to visit Hawaii myself for the longest time. You are right about it being very expensive but i definitely think it would be so worth the money spent while down there. Reading your blog on Hawaii makes me want to be there right now while it is a cool 45 degrees outside! The weather is hot year round so going during the winter up here would be a perfect time to go. I think if it were myself going, I would try and stay at the cheapest place possible so i could spend the rest of my money on other activities around the island like jet skiing, fishing, swimming with the fish and all of the other possibilities that the Hawaiian islands have to offer. I am hoping that someday i can hit the lottery big and have more than enough money to throw around to go on a trip to Hawaii. If I end becoming a millionaire any time in the near future, i will be sure to give you some money to go down to your dream vacation spot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Before I went into the second grade I went to Hawaii for seven days. I don't really remember much, but I do remember not wanting to leave. I also remember the very long plane ride, and at my age that was no fun at all. I can't really say much about the actual vacation, because I don't remember a whole lot, however looking at pictures I can definitely tell I had a lot of fun. I remember being on the beach almost every day and I can vividly recall the water and how blue it was. Hawaii is one of the best vacation spots in the country, I just wish I went when I was a bit older, so that way I could actually enjoy it, and have more exciting and interesting vacation stories.

    ReplyDelete