Monday, March 4, 2013

Studying Tips



Since we are all in college I thought the most useful tips that would be obtained would be studying. It is one of those things that is extremely effective if it is taken seriously and done properly. The first tip to help studying is to use a variety of places besides just the library. Cognitive scientists suggest that alternating study spaces is a more effective way to retain information, according to the New York Times. The next is studying with a group. Never think working in a group is bad because believe it or not three minds is smarter then one. Working in a group also makes it easier to get quizzed and make sure you have learned the material. Making flash cards is another useful tip. Writing notes and definitions more than once will help imprint information in your memory and note cards are the perfect match for that. 

Testing according to the New York Times enhances knowledge. It can help us relearn and recall information. This pays off when we are preparing for final exams. Sleep is a very important tip as well. A tired mind is a slow mind. Another useful tip is do not categorize yourself. Students often categorize themselves as being left-brained or right-brained thinkers. It is more important to figure out which study strategies work for you than to worry about where you are on the learning type.  Scientists have found that immersion is not an effective method of study. Instead of sticking to one subject and spending hours attempting to master it, you should switch between a few related topics. It can be less boring and you can learn a lot more. I would say time management is the most important tip to studying. The only thing worse than a deadline is missing it. Staying organized, keeping a agenda of when you have tests and other things is very effective. Procrastinating and your workload will feel much more manageable this way. All these tips are very useful for studying, especially for finals. I can say I have used a couple of these tips and have seen drastic improvement in my studying and have shown on my tests. I hope you found this as useful as I have. 

1 comment:

  1. This was a very good blog for our class, everyone should read it. I know I struggle all the time trying to study and get my work done. Some of these tips could definitely help me in the long run. I didnt realize the whole thing about you should switch around subjects instead of just focusing on the same one for hours and trying to master it. I really liked this blog, thank you for making it very informational and helpful for other.

    ReplyDelete