Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Irish Exploration

TRIP TO IRELAND
 
If I could go anywhere in the world, I would take a trip to Ireland. My mom's side of the family is 100% Irish, making me of course 50% Irish. For years my relatives have told me that everyone in Ireland looks like me. I became so interested in the Irish culture, that for my sixth grade curriculum fair project, I chose to do it on Ireland.
 
 
Trip:
Booked from April 14, 2013 to April 20, 2013 for two people.
 
Hotel and flight:
If booked with Orbitz the hotel and flight would cost $1,255/ person or $2,509 for the two people.
 
Airline: US Airways

Things I want to do there:
One of the first things I would want to do on my trip would be to visit Blarney Castle. This castle is home to the famous Blarney Stone. According to legend, by kissing the Blarney Stone, one will gain the gift of eloquence. Besides the Blarney Stone, Blarney Castle is also home to beautiful gardens, a classic dungeon, and "wishing steps". If you can walk up and down these stairs backwards with your eyes closed, your wish will become true within a year.
 



 

 
Another place I would want to visit while in Ireland is the Dublin Zoo. Dublin Zoo was first opened in 1831 and is now home to over 400 different animals. Some of these animals include both the Asian & African lion, the Red panda, the African hunting dog, & the Brazilian tapir.
 
The story of the Titanic has always fascinated me. In the city of Belfast in Ireland, there is an entire visitor's center deicated to the sunken ship. The original Titanic was crafted in Belfast and today,  the Titanic Belfast serves as a museum about the Titanic. This building is the same height as the original ship, and offers a "experience" to visitors.
 
For the rest of my time in Ireland, I would want as much time as possible to explore the many cliffs, rolling hills, and other castles. There are several trails in Ireland that allow you to climb the cliffs and hills the beautiful landscape has to offer.
Going to Ireland would definitely be the trip of a life time. The trip, however, would not be complete without going into local pubs and seeing an Irish stepdancing show.

 

 


4 comments:

  1. Katie, your blog was very informative. You had such a great variety of tourist spots. I am also part Irish myself, and I would love to visit Ireland someday. My girlfriend lived there for a few months and I cannot wait to explore the places she has been to such as Phoenix Park and just get a feel of the land. Just putting my two-cents in, you can find cheaper plane tickets for the time period you are going. I saw on Booking Buddy that for the month of April I was able to find a round-trip ticket for $750 per person. It is nice that the drinking age over there is lower than here in the United States, it makes it easier to enjoy the drinking nature, which the Irish are known for. All in all, I enjoyed seeing many of the possible destinations that Ireland has to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, your blog looks awesome! I would also be very interested in visiting Ireland one day. My great grandmother came to the United States from Tipperary Ireland, so I am also Irish. Last year the foreign language program at my high school visited Ireland, and although I didn't go, many of my friends did and told me how beautiful it was there. I loved the paragraph you wrote that talked about the Titanic Belfast museum. Titanic is my all time favorite movie and I would love to see the museum. The Irish Step dancing video you posted also reminded me of Titanic because of the dancing party they have in third class. I have always wanted to learn how to Irish Step dance. Irish Step dancing is definitely a huge part of the culture and a trip to Ireland would not be complete without it. The pictures you posted look great and Ireland looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, this blog looks unreal! After we read 'Easter Rising' in professor Halprin's class last semester, I suddenly thought that a trip to Ireland sounded like fun. Like you, I am part Irish, and would love to visit Ireland, as well as Sweden, to see where my family originally comes from. The way Ireland was described in the book makes it sound like one of the most peaceful and beautiful places on Earth. If I were to ever make my way to Ireland, I would spend the majority of my time exploring the vast green hills and ancient castles that you talk about in your blog. But no trip to Ireland would be complete without experiencing the culture they offer. I don't know how much Disney channel you watched as a kid, but there was a movie called 'The Luck of the Irish', and I remember that after watching it, I thought that step dancing was the coolest thing ever, so seeing one of those shows would also be on my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie
    I would love to visit Ireland as well. I cant say I am 50% Irish but I am 25%. I have always wanted to go and get a feel of my heritage first hand. I hear from my grandparents that it is a great place to visit with extraordinary views. I think it’s awesome how you have a passion to go to Ireland and visit all the places, especially Blarney Castle and the Dublin Zoo. While there to get the full experiences you have to go to a local pub and enjoy the draft beer and atmosphere. Like you said in you blog Irish Step Dancing would be an ideal sight to see as well. The Titanic Belfast looks like a very interesting place to go a see. I never knew that had a center dedicated to the titanic and on top of that it’s the same height as the original ship. That is very cool. I hope you end up going on this trip someday and have as much fun as possible.

    ReplyDelete